One man above all others stands out in the history of British Aluminium for his engineering brilliance, energy and vision – William Murray Morrison (1873-1948).
Morrison was a native Highlander who studied under Lord Kelvin (who served first as British Aluminium’s scientific adviser, and then as a director of the company until his death in 1907) who judged the former to be a brilliant student.
Morrison was appointed by the company as an engineer in 1898 and over the years became the architect of British Aluminium’s larger developments in the west Highlands.
Murray Morrison joined the Board of the company in 1908, initially as General Manager, then as a Director and finally as the Managing Director. He was knighted in 1945, and died in 1948.