The expectations of the purported cheap electricity to be reaped from nuclear generation prompted the European aluminium industry from the late 1960s to consider constructing aluminium smelters in Europe (close to their consumer base) once again. Small operations like Foyers were adapted as far as possible. Foyers was converted for super purity production in 1954, and finally closed in 1967. Since 1945, Britain had developed a dependency of North American imports of the primary metal (although it was a dominant force in the semi-fabricated market).
This, and the promise of the potential of nuclear power generation, prompted Harold Wilson’s Labour Government to invite aluminium producers to bid for contracts to construct a new generation of smelters at three locations in Britain. After negotiations, it was agreed that these 100,000 ton smelters be constructed by: the Aluminium Company of Canada Ltd. (Alcan) at Lynemouth in Northumberland, England; BACo at Invergordon in Ross and Cromarty, Scotland; and Kaiser-Rio Tinto at Holyhead in Wales.
Both the Holyhead and Invergordon smelters were to be supplied from electricity from new nuclear power stations at Wylfa B and Hunterston B respectively.