Over the next eight years – with the further expansion of demand for aluminium and intensified competition – the Company expanded its portfolio to include: further hydro-electric generating capacity and aluminium smelters in Norway; interests in bauxite mines in the South of France (which were of a higher grade than the Northern Irish bauxite found at the Company’s mines near Larne); and another rolling mill at Warrington in England. In 1918, the Company started production at a new alumina works in Burntisland in Fife.
In 1924 British Aluminium – with a guaranteed loan from the British government – started work on their biggest hydro-scheme and factory so far – Lochaber. This entered production in 1929, and was subsequently extended between 1938 and 1943. In 1944 production started at Falkirk rolling mills (initially under the wartime jurisdiction of the Ministry of Aircraft Production but sold to BACo after the War).
After the end of the Second World War, most European aluminium companies turned their attentions towards developing aluminium smelting capacity further afield – to benefit from savings by building large plants close either to the raw materials or water power resources (for cheap electricity production) on which the industry was so dependent.